The Scarborough Public Library is seeking a Development Coordinator to support the successful operation of the Library by creating and implementing a comprehensive fundraising program. The position is a member of the senior administration team for the Library and reports to the Library Director.
In partnership with the Library Director, Community Engagement Manager, and the Library Board of Trustees (Board), the Development Coordinator is responsible for the development and administration of fundraisers, planned giving initiatives, sponsorship solicitation, annual campaigns, and grant writing activities. The Development Coordinator serves as staff to the Library Board Development Committee and recruits additional volunteers as necessary and appropriate.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Overview of Duties
• Responsible for all aspects of the fund development program for the Library, which includes annual fundraising, planned giving and support of ongoing/future capital needs and goals, as determined.
• Oversight of the planning and implementation of the Annual Fundraising program including the major donor program, broad based community support, special events, and special initiatives.
• Tracks progress against goals, recommending changes to annual fundraising plans as needed, and reconciles with the bookkeeper.
• Maintenance of donor relationships, which includes donor stewardship of both major donors and broad-based community support.
• Maintenance and growth of the culture of philanthropy within the Library organization.
• Reports regularly to the Library Director and Library Board.
• Assist the Library Director in the development of fundraising strategies.
• Establish comprehensive short-term and long-range goals for funding sources.
• Develop a customized approach to encourage individuals, businesses, and foundations to donate to the annual campaign, give major gifts, and participate in special events and/or grants.
• Research public and private grant sources to identify sources of funding.
• Organize individual donor campaigns.
• Build and maintain a donor database.
• Produce donor solicitation promotional materials to secure, retain, or upgrade gifts.
• Cultivate donors by producing specialized correspondence, preparing timely letters of acknowledgment, and scheduling and attending in-person visits.
• Evaluate and report all fundraising and grant activities to the Library Director.
• Work in partnership with the Friends of the Scarborough Public Library and assist planning for Friends fundraising events.
• Participate in the development and implementation of the Library’s Strategic Plan.
• Other duties may be assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of acceptable practices and standards of public relations, principles and practices of effective communication; grant writing and grant administration; donor development and fundraising; and of the laws and regulations that affect the work performed.
Excellent skill in public relations and in maintaining effective working relationships; making public presentations; advanced skill in using Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and donor management software; analyzing and solving problems; written and oral communications; performing research; skill in fundraising databases preferred.
Ability to seek innovative methods of fundraising; prepare financial reports; identify problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
20 Hours per week. Some evening and weekend hours apply, some hours may be worked remotely.
Education: B.A. or B.S.; MLIS, MLS preferred
Pay range is $32-35 per hour DOQ&E. Includes vacation and sick leave and opt in 50% medical and dental paid.